« Home | Happy Easter! » | "A Cook's Tour" by Anthony Bourdain » | Knit or Crochet? » | Little J on the Loose! » | Bringing the Assembly Line to Education » | Time to Think » | Nothing Like a Good Adrenaline Rush » | Double-Ender » | Really Into My Food » | Had a Rough Weekend » 

Monday, April 17, 2006 

Welcome, Little One

My sister had a tax-day baby this weekend. I can't get the idea of this brand new life out of my head. The whole thing was so different for my sister than it was for me, and yet the commonality of the our experiences has brought us together. Both of us gained a lot of weight - we ended up over 200 lbs. However, Little J was 10 lbs, whereas Little A is 7 lbs 11 oz. I wound up having a C-section, and Sis didn't (thank you God, or whomever might be held responsible for this). Sis got really lucky - only twenty minutes of pushing. They checked out from hospital yesterday afternoon, less than 24 hours after the birth. From the sound of things, Mom, Dad and new baby girl had a pretty typical first night home - very little sleep, lots of confusion, and lots of second-guessing by Mom and Dad. I tried to be of comfort over the phone, but right about now the 3000 mile separation is wearing desperately thin. I worry that my sister will wig out, or not be able to handle things, which is my impression of her. However, my gut says this will be her opportunity to shine, to do the best she can just like I did and just like we all do, and that she will probably grow up quite a bit in the next month. When I get there, I'm sure things will be all sorted and I will have worried for naught.

Isn't it truly amazing how self-centered I can be about someone else's joyous event?

All this contemplation of what things must be like right now for the new parents has caused me to think back over what it was like for Big J and I that first month. Little J has never, ever been one to sleep peacefully. Then the colic hit. He kept us hopping, that's for sure. He still does, but not in the same ways. My best friend is right - parenting is the hardest job I'll ever do, and only another parent could possibly comprehend and empathize.

So, congratulations love, I'm sure your gorgeous baby is in the best of hands. I can't wait to meet her. Enjoy all those awestruck stares and firsts. The whole infancy thing passes like a flash - the next thing you know she'll be walking, talking and running the show. I love you and see you soon.