« Home | **Vo-cab-a-larry** » | Moving Status, Update No. 1 » | Project Files: 1st Mimi and The Baby Blanket From ... » | I Want to Think It's 'The Good Fight' » | Thinking Green at the Bookstore » | Little Leopard Boy » | How I Will Miss Her » | The Long Goodbye » | Welcome, Little One » | Happy Easter! » 

Saturday, April 29, 2006 

Project Files: One More Blanket

I've been putting off posting about my knit/crochet projects with the thought that I'd finish the booties totally so I could post a pictures. Alas, I haven't stitched up the last bootie, so they aren't felted, which means no pictures. But since I have finished a couple things and am working feverishly on others, I thought I should do a quick update and edit the pictures into the post later.

  Posted by PicasaThere is this great acrylic (yes, plastic, I know) two-ply yarn at the "corp" craft store I frequent called Marble, and it comes in lovely combinations of a solid strand and a varigated strand of complementing colors. I bought one that reminded me of a garden - mossy green solid with rose, muted sienna and black varigation - for the second baby blanket for my new niece. Three skeins and one crochet hook later, I have what has turned out to be my favorite project yet. The fabric folds and lays nicely without stretching under its own weight or bagging out. I haven't washed it yet, so I'm not sure if it will pill (the first blanket did, ick). I used a double crochet all the way through, so the thing grew like mad once I got the knack. And hooray, no curly edges thanks to no knit. In fact, I liked the way this one turned out so much that I bought three more skeins in a beautiful maroon/magenta/teal combo for another friend who is due to have her baby in October.

As for the felted baby booties, I took it easy and bought Paton's 100% wool because it made an inexpensive way to test the pattern I bought in Washington over our last Christmas visit. Turns out the pattern is wonderful and easy to follow, and since the whole thing is maybe 31 rows, it turned out to be a quick knit. This project made me feel like knitting again. After I sewed up the first bootie, I was quite please to find that the shape worked out, thereby negating my fear that I couldn't read a pattern properly and that I might never get the hang of shaping. I might just try socks someday!

The felted shoulder bag is going to be quite a monster. I didn't plan this one well at all. I have figured out what I'm going to do to close off the bottom. However, I may never make it that far. I'm on my fourth skein and it still isn't nearly long enough. Skein five was going to be more body and six was going for the bottom and strap, but I may adjust that up a skein or two so the bag is nice and deep. We'll see how much patience I have left after skein five.

I keep thinking my stash needs to get whittled down before we move, but now I know I'm talking crazy. My stash continues to grow even as I finish off my latest work. Currently, I have yarn for my best friend's felted hat, Little J's mimi (which I've also been working on), a cotton sweater for Little J or my nephew, the blanket for my friend M, an extra skein for more booties, three balls for lime green varigated hotpads (for me?), as well as sundry other balls and skeins without designated projects. In my head, I keep thinking I'll also get around to making a couple things to donate and start working on things like socks and scarves for the next holiday season. I guess this means I should give up on getting things under control, 'eh? And just today I bought my first book of patterns during our weekly soujourn at BN. Yes - give it up, it's for the best.

I can say one really wonderful thing - I actually feel like knitting because now I have somewhere to talk about it. (Dave, that means I don't want any shit about refrigerators, law mowers, or other such. I know you could give a crap, but hey, this is MY blog.)

Motivation is an immeasurable wonder, more power to you! ^_^ Btw, no worries, Dave reads Dave Barry's Blog which does talk about refrigerators, law mowers & other such!? ^_~ *cheers* |_|)

Post a Comment