« Home | Quicky Apologize w/A Bit'o 'Splaination » | Project Files: One More Blanket » | **Vo-cab-a-larry** » | Moving Status, Update No. 1 » | Project Files: 1st Mimi and The Baby Blanket From ... » | I Want to Think It's 'The Good Fight' » | Thinking Green at the Bookstore » | Little Leopard Boy » | How I Will Miss Her » | The Long Goodbye » 

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 

My Day

Knitting

I had a realization that I wanted to relay quickly before I talked about what I actually got done today, and I think it will mark a bit of relief for those of you who read but don't have any interest in yarn. I love talking about my projects, but if I post something every stinkin' time I finish a pair of booties or a crocheted baby blanket, then I'll be dedicating a lot of time to saying very little. None of us want that.

I never did get a good picture of those felted booties because they were a gift for my neighbor and I took them over when the opp presented itself. However, I have since knitted another pair in a smaller size - that pattern is fabulous and the making of them just whips by - and hope to get a photo this time. I've also moved onto the fifth (or sixth?) skein on the felted shoulder bag. I'm losing count, and the thing still isn't nearly long enough to put a bottom on. It is a very good thing the Brown Sheep Co. does a good match on their black dye lots. I've also restarted a sweater project that was plagueing me a while back. I have a cotton sweater for Little J that was totally wonderful all winter, but has since become too small. So I decided to reinvent the wheel - or pattern it out - instead of buying a new one. So far, the second attempt is looking much better. I'm working on the front left panel, and I've changed from Carolina blue in the ribbing to off white for the body with a cute little cable on the inside edge. I love these smaller projects for sense of accomplishment.

The House, or Packing

Big J's dad came over today to play with Little J while I tried to get some things taken care of. Since we've never attempted this arrangement before, and since I am not on the easiest of terms with Big J's parents, I was therefore a bit nervous. Everything turned out quite well: they played together inside and out, read books, and had a snack. All of three hours went by without Little J freaking out or melting down. Okay, that made my kid sound way higher strung than he is. However, his usual M.O. if I'm not focused on him 24/7 is to fly off the handle at some point out of sheer frustration. At the end of the day I still had energy (holy cow!) AND I worked had fewer dirty dishes and several more packed boxes. Now I'm left wondering why we didn't attempt this before!

Blogging

I'm deleting a post, so in answer to Lorna's question: try this website for the Marble yarn. It's a company based out of the UK, but at least you'll get the look of it and can find it locally. I've used the Moss, and have several skeins of Berries in my stash. Good stuff for being petrol based.

Dorian, sorry for deleting your comment and link.

I have been trying to get time in to read the blogs I've got running into my RSS feed, but I find myself scanning and not having the patience to comment most of the time. Too many priorities to juggle, I'm afraid. So I'm a lurker for the mo' unless I feeling totally compelled to say something. I suppose that should be the way it is anyway, right?

As for keeping up appearances - I want to but can't seem to find the time to tweak. And I think just getting a post a day is a good enough goal for right now.


The Kid

Little J is earning the moniker "Terry Dactyl". BF's mom coined it about Little G, my nephew, who adopted the high-pitched shriek around twelve months when he wanted but wasn't getting. The face and body language that accompanies the shriek for LJ makes me shake with laughter - but that probably isn't good parenting, is it. It must all be part of the new language acquisition phase we're going through because in the last week LJ has added the sign for "please" to his bag of tricks, as well as a couple of attempts at the sign for "help", and "teetee" for kitty. This evening he even sounded like he was repeating "door" as he opened and shut the back door. I love watching him pick things up on a daily basis! His little sponge brain really knocks me over.

I also have a couple funny asides if you've got the time:

1. I accidentally bought a dried veggie mix that was spicy and fed it to him without realizing. Instead of wigging, he likes it and stands at the pantry door asking for it. Today, he ate it until he was gagging and pulling on his tongue but wouldn't relinquish the snack trap.

2. We've been working on saying "please" both as a word and a sign, and twice now when I've asked him to say it and showed him how to sign it at the same time, he's gone to the refrigerator and asked for cheese. (He also uses the sign for more in some random ways, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.)