« Home | Book Meme » | My Day » | Quicky Apologize w/A Bit'o 'Splaination » | Project Files: One More Blanket » | **Vo-cab-a-larry** » | Moving Status, Update No. 1 » | Project Files: 1st Mimi and The Baby Blanket From ... » | I Want to Think It's 'The Good Fight' » | Thinking Green at the Bookstore » | Little Leopard Boy » 

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 

Stupid Television Tricks

Dear Reader, let me preface this next bit with an acknowledgment of sorts: I don't like TV for its vacuous nature and addictive qualities. I have a problem tearing myself away from it, so we don't have cable or satellite. That said, there are a few shows we do watch, obtained through various means: Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Desparate Housewives, Doctor Who, and Lost. I seldom feel compelled to talk about what we've watched outside of post-game wrap-up with hubbo, so don't expect regular TV posts on this blog. There will be times, as with everything, where I actually feel like discussing parts of episodes, though, so if you aren't a TV person, please bear with.

Watching the latest installment of Desparate Housewives last night, I began to wonder just who is being parodied in the bit about Bree's sex-addict lust object. Background: Bree offered to be her "boyfriend's" sponsor for S.A.A., or Sex Addicts Anonymous. Now, I'm no expert on sex addiction, but the scene where he calls Bree to come pick him up because he was "in trouble" just made me laugh. The "orgy" Bree comes to rescue him from is quite a joke, if you ask me. I've never been a participant, but after reading Carol Queen's Real Live Nude Girl, I think sex addiction might involve something more depraved than a few feathered masks and a topless host. That isn't to suggest that Queen's book is an encyclopedia depravica, but it has a few chapters dedicated to a realistic depiction of positive sexuality in a group scene. Granted, we're talking about prime time Sunday-night airing, so there wasn't going to be any greasy, sweaty, grinding and hollering depicted in the show either. I just wonder if the writers aren't actually trying to make Bree and her "boyfriend" look ridiculous, compared to oh say, the don't-take-my-baby scene at the end.