« Home | Stupid Television Tricks » | Book Meme » | My Day » | Quicky Apologize w/A Bit'o 'Splaination » | Project Files: One More Blanket » | **Vo-cab-a-larry** » | Moving Status, Update No. 1 » | Project Files: 1st Mimi and The Baby Blanket From ... » | I Want to Think It's 'The Good Fight' » | Thinking Green at the Bookstore » 

Thursday, May 04, 2006 

Moving Status, Update No. 2

One of my biggest complaints about living in the South (yes, this is going to be THAT kind of post) is how sincerely unhelpfull people are. There is a lot of blustering about "don't worry, we'll take care of you", but it doesn't inspire confidence when that statement isn't accompanied by any details or a game plan. It doesn't matter to me what you say you'll do, because if you don't follow through then what you say is worthless.

For example, I have some very serious dental work that needs to be done, but we've run out of time here. The work will have to wait, but the dentist I was seeing offered to call in a prescription for antibiotics in case something went awry in the next few weeks. Last weekend, I sent Big J to pick up the scrips and the pharmacist had NO RECORD of anything for me. This morning, I called the dentist to find out what had happened, and they don't have any notes on the business past the last time I was in their office. They tell me they'll call it in today, but will they really?

Then I called the Uhaul place to find out what they had on hand for moving supplies and how to get there. The person who answered the phone couldn't give me directions and could barely locate the MAJOR HIGHWAY that I'd be coming in on. Yikes. At least he could tell me which boxes they had.

This last bit about not being able to give directions is the weirdest part, in my opinion. I've had delivery people calling me to drop things off at my house but they needed to get directions. DELIVERY PEOPLE. A.)Get a job you can actually do. B.)Get a FUCKING map!

In terms of how this affects our move, I'm just that much more ready to leave. Two weeks from today, I'll be finished with this place except for the occasional holiday visit. I can't wait to be HOME.

Okay, I'm curious (and unable to find it if you've mentioned it before) -- where ARE you? I grew up in the South and would not have said unhelpfulness was a characteristic the region. If anything, folks were always TOO helpful, and you found yourself wishing they would butt the hell out. But I'm sure that varies as much there as anywhere else.

HOME is always good---at least, that's what Judy Garland thought. I read your meme on books and couldn't resist lifting it. I can't remember how to link you back, but if you're interested: www.lornacr.blogspot.com.

Rachel, we're near Raleigh, NC. I think what I'm trying inexpertly to describe is the weird contradiction that is Southern Hospitality, so called. People want to appear helpful without having a clue what they're talking about. Or they want to appear friendly, but they don't really want to get to know you or genuinely connect. They seem to act like they know more, and disdain "unfriendly" folks for up North (or worse, out WEST), while they actually have a grasp on very little about the world around them and care even less.

The only time I seem to get that overly helpful bit is when folks are trying to tell me about how great their state or town or business or family is, and I just don't feel the same. Or to tell me how to parent.

Lorna, I'll cruise on over and check it out. I put you on the blogroll, btw.

Post a Comment