« Home | There Is A Place We're Calling Home... » | Rhythm and Routine » | Disarray » | Shorty » | TGIF: Easy on the Links » | Letter Meme, A La Rachel » | Project Files: There » | As I have a cold and no energy to think, I'm lifti... » | Project Files: Nearly There, What a Relief » | Naturally Suckered » 

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 

Book Review: The Update

As far as books go, I've been in a bit of a sweet patch. Right after we set up shop at my mom's place in Seattle, one of my current Fantasy fav authors (Jacqueline Carey) did a reading at the Beaverton Powell's for her latest (Kushiel's Scion). I bothered to buy the book hardback and I got my first taste of the novelty of no sales tax. (Hey, it's the little things, right?) After the signing it took me only a couple days to finish the book. While Carey's style isn't exactly literary, I really enjoy her story lines and the geographical overlay of her fantasy universe on mediaveal Western Europe. I've read plenty of Fantasy where the author creates their own "map", which feels a little bit like reinventing the wheel and takes away from the reading experience. Carey is also exceptional at inventing mythology that helps to guide the plot as well as provide a richer backstory. Kushiel's Scion has the added benefit of the entire first series, Kushiel's Legacy, as setup, although Carey could've gone a little ligther on the references to previous adventures as the hero in the new series isn't even a flicker in somebody's eye in the first. All in all, I'm looking forward to the publication of the second book of the series.

I can't remember exaclty what I read next. Life has been a haze since May, so you'll excuse me if I don't recall all the details. It must not have been that interesting a book for me to completely forget.

After the grueling experience of unloading not one, but two twenty-six foot moving trucks (okay, one was my mother's and we hired two people to help out) in 100 degree weather, I was ready for the quiet and the dark. I dug out one of my boxes of books and cracked Atonement by Ian McEwan. By the way, how cool a name is McEwan? This is my first venture into one of Mr IM's books, and I was pleasantly thrilled. Without giving away too much, I have to say my favorite part is the layering of authorship that has a definite postmodern flavor to it. After doing some research about his other work, it looks like I won't be delving backward into previous works (too scary, too sad, just too fucked up), but I am looking forward to being able to order Saturday.

Finally, just a few days ago, I tried to get a start on The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I stopped only a few pages in because, well, Ms. Wharton is a bit of a bitch. I've seen the movie, and the critical introduction in my Modern Library Classic edition wasn't shy about details, so I know how the whole thing ends. That isn't the issue, though I don't really enjoy the ending. My beef with EW is how classist and bigotted her writing is. I think there was a way to write what she wrote and examine the nuances of New York "society" without being a total wack. But hey, these are my prejudices coming through. I will probably hold onto the book and try again later, because I actually enjoyed Ethan Frome. As a total side note, the painting chosen for the cover of this edition really struck me - the bare neck and sholder of the subject reflects the tenderness and vulnerability of Ms. Bart.

I haven't chosen another volume as of yet, but I did recently procure my first library card as an adult, so I anticipate having a few more options for reading material. I don't know if that will make it harder to choose, or if I'll even be able to finish things in a timely manner. Little J is having the time of his life in the children's section, though, so I may not even make it upstairs to peruse for myself.

Welcome back!

I haven't read any of Carey's books...yet...but I absolutely love John Jude Palencar's covers for them. Fantastic!

Post a Comment