« Home | Nothing to See Here » | Book Review: Garlic & Sapphires, et. al. » | Book Review: The Update » | There Is A Place We're Calling Home... » | Rhythm and Routine » | Disarray » | Shorty » | TGIF: Easy on the Links » | Letter Meme, A La Rachel » | Project Files: There » 

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 

Library Extravaganza

Although I've been doing tons of knitting lately, it isn't anything worth writing whole posts about. The short version of my knitivity is that my best friend and I are starting a business and I'm busily making cotton/wool and felted hats in childrens sizes in a variety of colors. I'm trying to add felted booties and some cute little infant socks to the inventory, too. When I have things a little more organized, I'll post a couple links.

I have had the wonderful pleasure of discovering the library in our town. Suddenly, my need for netflix has disappeared, and my Amazon.com list is the shortest it has ever been. For instance, I'm finishing the last one of Jacqueline Carey's novels that I hadn't previously read. Godslayer is the second book of a series that essentially reverse engineers Tolkein's work in a way that raises serious questions about our perceptions of good and evil. Seems especially pertinent considering Washington's current political propoganda machine. I have several things sitting by the bed waiting to be read: Kiss Me Like A Stranger by Gene Wilder - heard him interviewed on NPR about the book. Terry Gross rocks. Also: Saturday looks really good. What else, what else...I checked out several knitting books and a cookbook to see if I would actually put them to good use if I bought my own copies. I also picked up a copy of the only Barbara Kingsolver book I haven't perused: Last Stand. I love BK's version of activism, and would love to emulate her choices. The library is bringing all kinds of great books into my life that I would've otherwise waited to buy, and who knows when THAT would happen.

I've been trying to get us unpacked most of the way, but it has been really slow going. I think it would be interminably boring to describe all the times I've tried to get us sorted, so I won't bother. Suffice to say that unpacking added to the regular daily routine is a bit of a bitch.

Admittedly, I haven't been blogging much since we moved. I haven't been reading much, either. However, I don't think it matters in the same way it does to some because I'm not writing one of those blogs that is anything other than recreational. No serious writing here, folks.

A serious book list though. I can't seem to read Barbara Kinsolver....a missing gene, I guess, as evryone I know and am related to loves her. I just bought a new Sujata Massey---a guilty pleasure, like chocolate ginger.

Post a Comment