« Home | Dear Sweet Boy » | Library Extravaganza » | Nothing to See Here » | Book Review: Garlic & Sapphires, et. al. » | Book Review: The Update » | There Is A Place We're Calling Home... » | Rhythm and Routine » | Disarray » | Shorty » | TGIF: Easy on the Links » 

Monday, October 09, 2006 

Wool-brained

Helloooo, all. I think my blog might echo a bit....

Well, my BF and I finished up our first business meeting with a prospective buyer last weekend, and things went better than expected. I know I hadn't illuminated our business plan much, so here's a few details: we're both artists of one kind and another (I knit & make jewelry, she sews and makes jewelry) and ever since we stopped working at her wine bar and art gallery in NC, we've been looking for another small business project. So now, three years in the planning, we actually incorporated, made samples (I knitted something like 16 hats!), got business cards and apparel tags, and then we put it all together at the last possible minute and showed our stuff to a children's gift shop in WA. I made my first $100, and we have an actual client. Well, sort of. The owner wants to see how our stuff sells, and then we'll talk more. But that is $100 in capital to go back out and buy more supplies, and I still have about $200 worth of hats to show around Portland and see if anyone else in interested. Now that the initial push to makes samples is through, I have several new patterns I want to test out - things I've been mentally crafting - and I can't wait to get back to my own projects.

In other news, I finished "Saturday" by Ian McEwan - HOLY COW! What an incredible book! I haven't read a book that made me want to turn around and start it all over again in a long time - probably years. The metaphors were spectacular, and the contemplation of a world where terrorism is normal really knocks your socks off. McEwan's best so far, I'd bet. (As I've only ever read one other book, "Atonement", I don't think I can offer that opinion in an authoratative way.) I had a bit of a fiasco with my library request list, so I'm up to my ears in things I don't have time yet to read.

I'm sorry to anyone who actually reads this blog - or tries to - but I don't seem to have much fire for it. I'll leave it up and post occasionally. Sadly, I'm not reading online much at the moment either, and with the holidays rapidly approaching I'll probably spend more time working on knitted gifts than clicking the mouse.

I'm looking for a craft that I can do while blogging. Any ideas? Pictures of the hats would be good to see.

Good luck with the business.

Post a Comment